#PressingOn: 2021 Hong Kong Free Press Fundraising Campaign – support press freedom, help us grow and surpass 1,000 monthly patrons
Hong Kong Free Press launches its first fundraiser in two years. We aim to exceed 1,000 monthly contributors, as HKFP expands operations and commits to providing reports on the ground. Sign up for a monthly contribution of HK $ 150 and receive a gift box.
100% independent, ethical and not-for-profit, HKFP is #PressingOn with unbiased, award-winning coverage, earning top ratings for credibility. Founded in 2015, we are backed by readers, led by journalists, and structured to resist censorship – there are no tycoons, no shareholders, and no Chinese conglomerate behind us. Audited annually, we are the most transparent media in the city – read our transparency report to see how we spend every penny and where our income is coming from.
Regular monthly support is the best way to help protect HKFP’s independence and press freedom – by the end of 2021, we hope to increase our HKFP customer base from 818 to over 1,000.
- extension 2022: HKFP will hire at least two new staff before the end of the year. We will also be moving to a larger private office in The Hive Kennedy Town next month.
- Why now: Despite rising costs, we want to increase our daily coverage, as the city’s only truly independent English newspaper. With only four reporters, there are too many stories we miss, stories that are sometimes never even covered in English. Additionally, our number of monthly HKFP patrons has declined this year, after increasing in 2019 – so we are keen to expand our membership base and secure our future.
- Press, stay put: Our team is fully engaged in Hong Kong, and we believe that it is only through first-hand reports from the field that we can give an accurate picture of day-to-day developments. Despite the decline of the press freedom situation, it is still guaranteed by the Security Law, the Hong Kong Basic Law, the Bill of Rights and the Chinese Constitution. We therefore continue, having sought legal, business and security advice and taken steps to ensure the sustainability of HKFP.
- Top marks for credibility: We are committed to responsible and impartial reporting, launching a public code of ethics and correctional policy in 2020. You can rest assured that every fact, number and quote you see in an HKFP report is clearly attributed and placed in its context. Advertisements and opinion pieces are properly labeled and we broadcast opinions from across the political spectrum. We don’t take a stand, share click bait or run editorials, instead we present the facts and let readers decide. We received full scores in NewsGuard’s Credibility Rating, meeting all 9 criteria.
At a time when other outlets have been compromised, disappeared or are in retreat, the HKFP team have collectively chosen to pursue, expand and initiate a fundraiser. With your support, HKFP is here to stay.
Our new support site:
- You control the monthly contributions: HKFP will never install a pay wall – those who can afford to support us are helping us stay online for those who cannot. With our new support website, you can make a one-time contribution or create / pause a regular donation anytime in seconds. We accept most payment methods. And, unlike other subscriptions, you can cancel easily, anytime, just by signing in.
- To thank you : New and existing HKFP monthly customers who sign up for HK $ 150 per month or more are entitled to a free HKFP sticker pack, pen and key ring as a thank you note. Simply complete this form after activating your contribution – free shipping, worldwide.
- Hong Kong’s most transparent media: HKFP is audited annually, and our transparency report shows where our funds are coming from and how carefully we spend every penny. As a non-profit organization, any excess is recycled back into the business.
Hong Kong Free Press Annual… by HKFP