Chu plans to stay and fight at a press conference today
Struggling Calgary adviser Sean Chu will announce at a press conference Thursday afternoon that he will not resign on Western standard has learned.
“There will be media availability in the city all afternoon and Mr. Chu will not resign,” said a source close to Chu.
The source said Chu will announce his intentions in the future at the 3:30 p.m. press conference at City Hall.
Mayor-elect Jyoti Gondek told a town hall press conference that she would not take the oath in Chu when the council first meets on Monday.
“Sean Chu’s situation continues to become more and more worrying,” Gondek said.
“It’s a travesty for the young woman who had the courage to come forward… She has to be taken seriously, and he has to resign for this to happen.”
“[Chu] can absolutely appear. It will not be sworn in by me.
In his only interview so far, Chu had told the Western standard He had no plans to quit on Tuesday, but apologized to a woman he had sex with 24 years ago.
Pressure has since mounted with Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, Calgary Mayor-elect Jyoti Gondek, most of the new council and even local Tory MPs all saying Chu should step down.
“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean any harm,” Chu told the Western standard in an exclusive interview on Tuesday.
Calgary city officials confirmed Chu won the Ward 4 election race by just 52 votes after allegations surfaced last week about his involvement in August 1997 with a girl who was just 16. at the time.
“It was nothing more than a political assassination,” Chu said.
Chu, who has represented Ward 4 since 2013, also hit back at some media reports that he said were completely false.
Chu, then a Calgary Police Service officer, said he encountered the unidentified girl in a pub near Macleod Tr. And 94 Ave. S and not the downtown Husky House restaurant that CTV and CBC reported.
At one point in their interaction, Chu stroked the girl’s leg, an incident that later earned him a letter of reprimand in his file.
Chu said the girl seemed interested in him, so when he wasn’t on duty he put on civilian clothes and returned to the pub to meet the girl.
The evening continued with Chu and the girl finally heading for her house.
Chu denied media reports that a gun was produced during the evening at his home. He said he registered his service weapon with the police traffic bureau when he left his service.
Chu was a police officer in Calgary from 1992 until his election in 2013.
Premier Jason Kenney called the allegations “appalling” but said he didn’t think there was a way for the province to remove a councilor who was not convicted under the Criminal Code .